1. How much notice will I get before the inmate is released?

If you are a registered victim and we have a current telephone number and mailing address, you will receive an automated notification by telephone or text message 20-25 days prior to the offender’s projected release date and you will also receive a written notification 15-20 days prior to the offender’s projected release date.  Additionally, you will receive an automated notification on the day of the offender’s release.  If there is a court action that reduces the offender’s sentence, you will be contacted by telephone and/or in writing as soon as possible.

2. What should I do if I am receiving unwanted contact from the offender?

If you receive unwanted contact in the form of phone calls, voicemail messages or written messages, to include letters, emails, text messages, social media messages – please do not discard or delete them. That evidence can be useful in holding the Offender accountable for continued violations of policy and/or court orders.  Report the contact on the main page of the department’s website under the “Report Offender Usage of Cell Phones/Social Media link” found in the sidebar and contact Victim Services at 1-800-835-0304 for additional assistance.

3. How do I update my address if I move?

Contact the Division of Victim Services at the address, telephone number, fax number or email address provided below.

South Carolina Department of Corrections
Division of Victim Services
PO Box 21787
Columbia, SC 29221
Telephone: 800-835-0304 or 803-896-1733
Fax:  803-896-5568
E-mail:  victimservices@doc.sc.gov

4. How do I get information/notification about the offender's parole hearing?

The offender’s parole information can be found on the South Carolina Victim Information and Notification Everyday System (SC VINE) at www.vinelink.com and also by contacting the S.C. Dept. of Probation, Parole and Pardon Services, toll-free, at 1-888-551-4118. (www.dppps.dc.gov)

5. How can I stop the automated telephone calls?

To confirm and stop the call, you must enter your four-digit pin (found on the (SC VINE) South Carolina Victim Information and Notification Everyday System insert you received with your registration confirmation letter).  If you do not remember your pin, you can call the SC VINE Operator, toll free, at 1-866-727-2846 for 24-hour a day assistance stopping the call.  If you no longer wish to receive automated notifications about the offender, contact the Division of Victim Services at 1-800-835-0304 for assistance.

6. The Offender threatened me and now he’s about to be released, what should I do?

If you are in immediate danger, call 911.  Otherwise, contact the Division of Victim Services, as soon as possible, at 1-800-835-0304 for victim wraparound services.

7. Why are offenders transferred from one facility to another?

There are several reasons why an offender might be transferred to another facility.  The offender may have been re-classified to a lower or higher custody level, may be transferred for security reasons, may be transferred due to available bed space or may be transferred based on availability of programs.

8. Can I have information about the offender regarding medical conditions, institutional conduct, program participation, etc.?

All inmate medical information is confidential and protected by law.  Public inmate information is available at this link.

9. The offender was sentenced under the Youthful Offender Act and is about to be released. I have a restitution order; how will I get my payments?

Typically, an offender will be instructed to pay restitution according to a payment schedule. The offender’s Intensive Supervision Officer (ISO) is responsible for creating the payment schedule and monitoring the payments made to victims. Payments collected will be disbursed to victims from the SCDC Deptartment of Budget and Finance using the registration address on file with the Division of Victim Services. It is the responsibility of the victim to ensure their contact information is up to date.  If victims do not receive scheduled payments, they should contact the offender’s ISO at 803-896-2103 or the Victim Services Liaison for Young Offender Parole and Reentry Services at 1-800-835-0304.

10. Can I meet with the offender to talk?

The Division of Victim Services offers Victim Offender Dialogue (VOD), when possible, for victims who may, for a variety of reasons, wish to meet directly with an offender while the offender is in prison.  This meeting takes place in a safe and structured setting, with a trained facilitator present. The meeting can also be conducted via a virtual platform such as Zoom, Skype, Microsoft Teams or Google.  This process can only be initiated by the victim and requires a substantial commitment of time for preparation and can have a deeply emotional impact.  If you are a victim and you would like more information about this program, please contact the Division of Victim Services at 1-800-835-0304. 

11. Will the offender receive treatment while in prison?

The Department of Corrections has twenty-one institutions and they offer a variety of programs and services for offenders who are incarcerated.  Offenders are assigned to institutions to meet their specific security, programming, medical, educational and work requirements. A list of institutions and the programs and services they provide can be found here.